Allergies can significantly impact an individual’s quality of life, leading to various symptoms and discomfort. If you’re a Medicare beneficiary and suspect that you may have allergies, it’s essential to understand whether Medicare covers allergy testing. Does Medicare cover allergy testing? In this article, we will explore the coverage options provided by Medicare for allergy testing, including subheadings that delve into specific aspects of coverage and requirements.

Understanding Allergies and Allergy Testing

Before delving into Medicare coverage, let’s briefly understand allergies and the purpose of allergy testing. Allergies develop when the immune system improperly reacts to normally harmless substances. Pollen, dust mites, cat dander, and several foods are among the most common allergens.

The allergens that are causing an individual’s allergic reactions can be pinpointed with the help of allergy testing. An effective treatment plan, including avoiding allergens, taking medications, or obtaining allergy injections, requires this information.

Medicare Part B Coverage for Allergy Testing

Medicare Part B is the component of Medicare that covers outpatient services and medical procedures. Fortunately, Medicare Part B provides coverage for medically necessary allergy testing. This coverage extends to both diagnostic allergy testing and allergy shots (immunotherapy).

Diagnostic allergy testing includes skin tests and blood tests. Skin tests involve exposing the skin to small amounts of allergens and monitoring the reaction. On the other hand, blood tests analyze the blood sample for specific allergen antibodies.

Medicare Coverage Criteria

Medicare will pay for allergy testing if the patient meets certain requirements. Medicare will pay for an allergy test if a doctor thinks it’s essential. This means that these tests cannot be used to diagnose or treat allergies without the recommendation of a medical professional.

It’s important to note that Medicare generally does not cover testing solely for research purposes or to screen for allergies without any specific symptoms or indications.

Cost Sharing and Deductibles

Medicare Part B coverage for allergy testing is subject to cost-sharing and deductibles. As of 2023, the standard Medicare Part B deductible is $203 annually. Medicare normally pays 80% of the recommended fee for allergy testing when the deductible is met, with the patient liable for the remaining 20%.

It’s worth mentioning that some Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) may offer additional coverage for allergy testing, potentially reducing the out-of-pocket costs for beneficiaries. Reviewing the specific details of your Medicare Advantage plan to determine the extent of coverage is recommended.

Approved Providers and Facilities

Medicare coverage for allergy testing is only applicable when performed by Medicare-approved providers or facilities. Ensuring that the healthcare provider or testing facility accepts Medicare assignments is crucial. If not, you may be responsible for additional costs, as non-participating providers can charge more than the Medicare-approved amount.

To find Medicare-approved providers, you can use the “Physician Compare” tool on the Medicare website or contact Medicare directly for assistance.

Coverage Limitations and Exceptions

While Medicare Part B generally covers medically necessary allergy testing, there may be certain limitations and exceptions to consider. For instance, Medicare does not cover allergy testing for food intolerance or sensitivity, as these conditions are not considered true allergies. Additionally, cosmetic allergy testing or testing solely to obtain a medical certificate for employment may not be covered.

It’s crucial to consult with your healthcare provider or contact Medicare directly to determine the specific coverage guidelines and any potential limitations that may apply to your situation.


Medicare provides coverage for medically necessary allergy testing under Part B. By understanding the coverage criteria, cost-sharing requirements, and approved providers; Medicare beneficiaries can make informed decisions about their allergy testing options. It’s recommended to consult with a healthcare provider and review your specific Medicare plan details to determine the extent of coverage and any potential out-of-pocket expenses. Regular communication with healthcare professionals and staying informed about Medicare updates will ensure that you receive appropriate allergy testing and necessary treatment for improved health and well-being.


Q1. Does Medicare cover the cost of allergy testing?

A1. Yes, Medicare generally covers medically necessary allergy testing.

Q2. What types of allergy testing does Medicare cover?

A2. Medicare covers various types of allergy testing, including skin tests, blood tests (such as RAST or ImmunoCAP tests), and patch tests.

Q3. Are there any requirements for Medicare coverage of allergy testing?

A3. To be eligible for Medicare coverage, a healthcare provider must deem allergy testing medically necessary. It must be ordered as part of a diagnostic process to identify specific allergens.

Q4: Do I need a recommendation from my main doctor for Medicare to cover allergy testing?

A4: Medicare will typically pay for allergy testing without requiring a referral from a primary care physician or other qualified healthcare practitioner.

Q5. Does Medicare cover allergy testing for food allergies?

A5. Medicare will pay for food allergy tests if a doctor says it is needed for medical reasons.

Q6. Can Medicare cover both in-office and at-home allergy testing?

A6. Medicare typically covers in-office allergy testing performed by healthcare providers. At-home allergy testing kits may not be covered unless prescribed and supervised by a healthcare professional.

Q7. Does Medicare cover the cost of allergy shots or immunotherapy?

A7. Yes, Medicare covers allergy shots (immunotherapy) if they are determined to be medically necessary for treating allergies.

Q8. Will Medicare cover the full cost of allergy testing?

A8. Medicare generally covers 80% of the approved amount for allergy testing. Unless you have supplementary insurance, the remaining 20% of any bill will be your responsibility as a copayment or coinsurance.

Q9. Are there any limitations on the frequency of Medicare-covered allergy testing?

A9. Medicare typically covers allergy testing on an as-needed basis. The frequency of coverage may depend on the medical necessity and the specific testing requirements.

Q10. How can I find providers who accept Medicare for allergy testing?

A10. You can use the “Physician Compare” tool on the Medicare website, contact Medicare directly for a list of providers, or consult with your healthcare provider for recommendations on allergy testing providers who accept Medicare.